Soundcard volume problems

I've had an annoying problem with the volume on my soundcard for some time
now, and it is really annoying me now. Since I use headphones I don't want
the volume to be set very high, so I use aumix to set the volume when I
log in. However, a number of programs insist on setting it to a much higher
level when they start, which tends to be very painful if I forget to take
the headphones off before I start the program. Is there any cure for this
problem?

Cheers
    Dave

--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.1 on Linux i386 2.2.3
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> | PGP key available on request