Re: [Exim] Re: EXIM, Help stop relaying spam

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Marc Haber wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 00:53:15 -0600 (MDT), you wrote:
> >If you have the "relay-domains-include-local-MX = true" in your
> >/etc/exim.conf file, this is true.  It WILL relay for anyone who lists
> >your machine as an MX for their domain (real, or not).  I think this was
> >the original question.

That is incorrect.

> It will not relay _FOR_ anyone who lists the exim host as an MX for
> their domain; it will relay _TO_ anyone who lists the exim host as an
> MX for their domain. This is a siginificant difference.

That is correct. Relaying _FOR_ is controlled by hosts, not domains.
Typically: relay for any host on my local network.

There are some controls by sender (though they are weak, since senders
are easily forged) but they do not involve looking up MX records for the
sender.

ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.