Re: SSH2 on slink?

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Pawel Mazur wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Christian Dysthe wrote:
>
> > I see that there is a SSH2 package for Potato available and wondered if
> > anyone has installed this successfully on slink.
>
> I run slink on a 486dx/2 home box with 12 megs of RAM (yep, there are some
> archaic computers :)
> I tried to run SSH2, but generating host key was the main problem - the
> process of generating freezed each time I had run it.
> But that was probably a hardware problem (anyone got any ideas about it?
> lack of RAM? lack of processor speed?)

Probably processor speed.

> > I also need to know if installing this package disables SSH1 that we
> > currently have running on the web server
>
> SSH2 has been rewritten from scratch, according to its authors.
> Of course, it disables SSH1, but it is 100% compatible with SSH1,
> so that SSH1 users should be able to log into machine running SSHD2,
> and vice versa - SSH2 users into SSHD1.

It does not disable ssh1. ssh1 is used for a connection if either the
clients calls an ssh1 element, or if the server is using only ssh1.

This is carried out by passing the call to the ssh1 counterpart programs.

Therefore ssh1 must also be installed, and moreover, ssh1 package should
be installed before installing ssh2 package, if you want to maintain
compatibility with ssh1.

No problem used to come forth when installing it.

Robert Varga