How do I connect to BTInternet in the UK? They use MS-CHAP

I want to connect to BTInternet here in the UK. Apparently they use
ms-chap. I have been looking at the ppp docs and the advice there is to
compile ppp with ma-chap support.

I have never compiled an essential app like ppp before - I am concerned
about dependencies etc. - if I downloaded the tar.gz source, compiled
and installed it surely all sorts of dependencies on my system would be
broken?

Any advice would be gratefully received. RTFMs also gratefully received
if they also point to the correct FM!

--
Phillip Deackes
Debian Linux (Potato)