sendmail userdb doesn't work

Hello,

I use sendmail's User Database and can't get sendmailconfig to
generate a sendmail.cf file that works correctly (translates my
outgoing mail headers to look like they are coming from a
reachable email address).

Has anyone got this working using sendmail 8.9?  If so, how?
What do you put in your sendmail.mc file?

I have an old sendmail.cf file that provides working translation
(but waht am I missing out on by using it?).  It contains:

O UserDatabaseSpec=/etc/mail/users.db

where /etc/mail/users.db is created using:

# makemap btree /etc/mail/users.db < /etc/mail/userdb

on a file /etc/mail/userdb that looks like:

-cut-
rhogee:mailname         GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca:maildrop       rhogee
-cut-

The new sendmail.cf generated by sendmailconfig also has the
"O UserDatabaseSpec=/etc/mail/users.db" line, has other diff's
which appear to break userdb behaviour.

A test messsage received using my old sendmail.cf file looks
like: