Re: Linux freezing up

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Stephan Hachinger wrote:

> Sounds like a processor overheat problem or so, I think. But it's quite
> strange that you could ping it. Isn't the processor needed for beeing
> pinged??

Yes.  It is not likely a CPU problem.

It is more likely that something is wrong with your X - perhaps a video
driver - and it is hanging the console.  I bet you can log in on telnet
and do all kinds of stuff - basically everything except reset the display.

SVGATextMode may be able to help you - see if you can use it to save a
known video state, then, next time you hang, log in via telnet and use it
to restore said state.  It might work.