Re: Configuring a monitor?

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Mark Wagnon wrote:

> virtanen wrote:
> >
> > I'm getting tired of this. But it might be the case that I just have to
> > remember to shut the power off altogether before booting debian... because
> > it lasted this time quite long... before it...
>
> When the system crashes, all the mounted filesystems are checked
> to make sure that they are okay. On large partitions/slower
> machines, this can take a while. When my system crashes, it takes
> upwards of five minutes to get through the boot process.

No, when this system crashed again, it cannot boot at all any more.
There is nothing else to do than installing the whole thing again. The
power goes off while booting.

> It can be frustrating at times. You'll get there. When you were
> upgrading to the new X packages, were you running X? I was
> informed a couple months ago that this is unwise. Upgrade from
> the console instead.

No I used the console. X was not possible to use.

Also, HOW are you upgrading? Are you using
> apt-get? This is the easiest way to keep your system up to date.
> You can upgrade to the latest X using apt-get by putting
>
>   deb http://ftp.netgod.net/ x/

I haven't got network working yet. I have to copy all the necessary debs
somewhere using  networked windows.

> Well, good luck, hang in there, and let us know how it's going!
> --

Let's see. I'll bring the cds from home tomorrow and see, if I'll get it
up again.

-
hv