Re: Configuring a monitor?

virtanen wrote:

> I'm getting tired of this. But it might be the case that I just have to
> remember to shut the power off altogether before booting debian... because
> it lasted this time quite long... before it...

When the system crashes, all the mounted filesystems are checked
to make sure that they are okay. On large partitions/slower
machines, this can take a while. When my system crashes, it takes
upwards of five minutes to get through the boot process.

> It wasn't there. I was just upgrading for that 3.3.3.1.-10 when the
> whole system crashed (again). That might be the solution for the whole
> thing.
>
> I'll try to do that nex time, if I once more install debian in this damn
> machine...

It can be frustrating at times. You'll get there. When you were
upgrading to the new X packages, were you running X? I was
informed a couple months ago that this is unwise. Upgrade from
the console instead. Also, HOW are you upgrading? Are you using
apt-get? This is the easiest way to keep your system up to date.
You can upgrade to the latest X using apt-get by putting

  deb http://ftp.netgod.net/ x/

in your /etc/apt/sources.list file, and running

  apt-get update
  apt-get upgrade

if you didn't already know that.

> > I have a
> > G200 myself, and I had to upgrade to 3.3.3.1-10 cuz the X on the
> > slink CDs didn't support my card.
> >
> > Also, when specifying the horizontal and vertical frequencies,
> > are you pressing <Enter> after entering each range in the
> > appropriate box? I noticed that when you don't, the values you
> > type in aren't reflected in the red bars indicating the ranges. I
> > don't know if this is significant, but it doesn't seem to hurt.
>
> I don't think that I did that.

Try that when you re-run XF86Setup after upgrading.

> > To switch between resolutions you press the combo Ctrl-Alt-(+/-)
> > to cycle forward and backward thru them.
> >

> That did not work at all.

It could be that you didn't have any other resolutions to choose
from. I don't.

Well, good luck, hang in there, and let us know how it's going!
--
                                     __   _
Mark Wagnon         Debian GNU/ -o) / /  (_)__  __ ____  __