Configuring a monitor?

1)
Managed to get debian slink running in a pention II box. Managed to get
even x running in a way. But.

2)
The screen is impossible to use, because only the panel buttons of fvwm
become so big that there is no room for anything else and almost the all
of the information is 'outside' of the screen.

3)
During XF86Setup (I used that to configure X) I have tried various
possible configurations for the monitor. They make no effect at all. The
card is Matrox Millenium Mga G100 (AGP) Powerdesk and I selected  SVGA
Server as was suggested by a kind person on this list.
The monitor is HL 7870S Hyundai 17".

4)
Must I change something in the BIOS to make it possible to configure the
screen somehow? M$os says simply: 'Plug and Play monitor'
Or must I use xf86config instead of XF86Setup?

5)
Or what to do?

-hv