Re: [Kernel 2.2.10] Figuring out module-parameters

On 01-Aug-1999, Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> wrote:

> I've just built a 2.2.10 kernel on my own (banging my own chest like
> Tarzan[1]) and compiled fat-fs-support as a module (and nls_cp437,
> vfat, hpfs, msdos, ...) but modprobe (or whatever reads
> /etc/conf.modules) complains when I boot.
>
> I have this in  /etc/modutils/filesystems:
> #! /bin/sh
>
> echo \# Filesystems:
>
> if [ "x`uname -r`x" = "x2.0.35x" ] ; then
>         echo \# No filesystems from /etc/modutils/filesystems
> else
>         echo options fat
>         echo options msdos
>         echo options nls_cp437
> fi
> echo \# Filesystems - end
>
> The problem is that it complains on "options fat" about missing
> parameters. How and where do I find out of which options fat (and
> others too for that matter) expects?
>

> The kernel boots[2] nicely but I can't access my network since the
> modules aren't loaded properly... :-(

If you want to load modules at boot time you need to edit the file
/etc/modules.

For instance adding the line below add my network card to the kernel

ne io=0x300 irq=5

The files in /etc/modutils are used to construct the conf.modules file.
That file is used by modprobe, which is used by kmod (the 2.2 series
auto module includer)

Pete.