Re: Unidentified subject!

/

> 	* except those that are part of Debian packages
all except /home /root /usr/local /var/local

> 	* but including those files that have been modified from
>           the distribution version
don't know any quick way to determine those

> 	* and including those files that are dpkg-divert'd
/etc/alternatives

> 	* and state information of which packages are installed
>           so the same ones can be installed again?
/etc

So i'd suggest to back up the following areas:

configuration: /etc
user data: /home
variable data: /var/local /var/backups /var/log
site local: /var/local /usr/local /root
(eventually) kernels and modules: /boot /lib/modules

-Michele