Re: setserial question

Anthony Campbell <acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk> writes:

> > > 	"Use of setserial/setrocket to get SPD_* flags is deprecated"

Are you sure that's "get SPD_"?  The only string like that in the
kernel is in drivers/char/tty_io.c line 1903:

    printk("Use of setserial/setrocket to set SPD_* flags is deprecated\n");

[snip]

> I tried this but it didn't help. I wish I knew what SPD_* flags are and
> where they are set.

As far as I can tell, dip is using tcgetattr() on a TTY, probably a
serial line, which at one point leads to tty_get_baud_rate() being
called.  The latter function is about to return 38400 as the baud
rate, but notices that the alt_speed value has been set for that TTY,
so returns its value and prints that warning.

The value for alt_speed can be set in set_serial_info() in
drivers/char/serial.c.

I'm guessing that you're specifying spd_<something> in
/etc/rc.boot/0setserial.  You shouldn't need to do this if all
programs are using the latest POSIX termios code, so Linux 2.2
complains about it.  Try removing these flags if they're there, and
see if anything stops working.

"The risk of U.S. national security resting in the hands of adults who play
with children's toys during office hours is left as an exercise to the reader."
                                                       - Bruce Martin in RISKS