Gnome-Panel

I've had the following problem for quite a while when trying to use
gnome...
the gnome panel clears an area at the botom of my screen, and greys it
out
presumably in preparation for putting the bar there... however, it sits
forever
and doesn't actually draw the bar...  instead, it crunches my disk and
eats up
10-15% of my CPU power indefinately.  Anyone know what's going wrong or
how to fix it?

--Evan
--
Evan Van Dyke                                  E-mail: evandy@netcom.com