Re: Mouse again!

>    I posted something about my mouse not working after installing a new ViRGE
> card on my Linux box,  but none of the suggested solutions have been
> succesful. Therefore, I will explain the problem again. Basically, the mouse
> is only marginally recognized: sometimes, if I move it, the cursor appears
> for a while, but it doesn't move. Some other times, it moves far too fast,
> rendering it useless.

Ok, this does not sound at all like an irq conflict, but just to make sure
do
cat /proc/pci to get the data on S3 card of yours. More specifically, it
will tell you hte irq it has, which can not be obtained from cat
/proc/interrupts
You sure that the mouse is set to irq 4?
Try setserial -g /dev/ttyS0 to get the data on mouse, or where it should
be.

>    Since with my old VGA card, the mouse works great, and it works fine
> under Windows with the new card, I am at a loss here. My BIOS settings have
> a com1 at 0x3f8, irq 4, and a non-PnP OS, automatic IRQ assignation and
> resetting enabled. It's one of this Award PnP BIOS's you seem to get
> everywhere these days.

Try changing it to pnp OS? It should stil boot fine.

>    Yesterday, I got hold of a matrox millenium gfx card, and swapped my S3
> ViRGE for it. The problem stays with the new card, and the card doesn't work
> properly.

What is the problem with new card?

>    I'd be *REALLY* grateful if anyonce could send me some information (or to
> the list), as I can't use either gpm or X, and I need to get to X to finish
> some work!!!!

The only thing I could blame it on is bad hardware....but which one,
though.
But lets see what htose cat's turn out.
Andrew

Never include a comment that will help | Andrew Ivanov
someone else understand your code.     | c680789@showme.missouri.edu
If they understand it, they don't      | ICQ: 12402354
need you.                              |