dpkg/apt/equivs problem

I have a problem with apt. It could come from the fact that apt-get
update now gives me this error:

-------------8<--------------
root@i203:~/install# apt-get -f update
Get file://amnt slink/contrib Packages
Get file://amnt slink/main Packages
Get file://amnt slink/non-US Packages
Error file://amnt slink/non-US Packages
 Unable to stat //amnt/debian/dists/slink/non-US/binary-i386/Packages.gz No such file or directory
Get file://amnt slink/non-free Packages
ERROR file://amnt/debian/dists/slink/non-US/binary-i386/Packages.gz
  Unable to stat //amnt/debian/dists/slink/non-US/binary-i386/Packages.gz No such file or directory
-------------8<--------------

and it's true:

-------------8<--------------
root@i203:~/install# ls //amnt/debian/dists/slink/non-US/binary-i386/
ls: //amnt/debian/dists/slink/non-US/binary-i386/: No such file or directory
-------------8<--------------

On the other hand, this could just be a symptom of the real
problem. Here's what I'm trying to do: I want to install an licq
package from the licq homepage, since it's much more recent than the
standard debian version. When doing 'dpkg -i licq-blabla.deb' it says
that it needs qt-1.41. But there is no such package !(?). So I
installed qt 1.42 from potato, and then installed licq with
--force-depends.
It installs and runs fine, but apt-get has a problem with this. When
trying to install further packages with it, it says:

-------------8<--------------
Checking system integrity...dependency error
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
dependencies:
  licq: Depends:qt-1.41
-------------8<--------------

But dpkg doesn't complain, it works just fine to install new packages
with that.

So I tried another solution: the equiv package, which is supposed to
fool the system into beleiving that packages are installed when
they're not. I followed the instructions in that package: edited an
/etc/equivs.conf file with 'qt-1.41', and built equivs. But it doesn't
help me. dpkg -l 'qt*' gives:

-------------8<--------------
un  qt-1.41         <none>         (no description available)
un  qt-dev          <none>         (no description available)
ii  qt-doc          1.40-1.1       Comprehensive docs (html), examples, and tut
un  qt0-dev         <none>         (no description available)
un  qt0-doc         <none>         (no description available)
un  qt1             <none>         (no description available)
un  qt1-snapshot    <none>         (no description available)
ii  qt1g            1.42-1         Shared Library used by applications linked w
ii  qt1g-dev        1.42-1         Environment for QT GUI development.
pn  qtscape         <none>         (no description available)

Note that i get the apt error mentioned in the beginning even if I
uninstall licq and equivs. I would be REALLY grateful for any
help/suggestions.

--
-~* Daniel Elenius *~-