Re: start-stop-daemon and multiple exim daemons

Marc.Haber-lists@gmx.de (Marc Haber) writes:

> I am running exim as two daemons. One is listening on port 25, the
> other does periodic queue runs only when I am online. The queue runner
> exim is killed off when I go offline.

[snip]

> How can I make start-stop-daemon check for a process' existence before
> I trying to kill it? I'd really love to get rid of this error message.

After some experimentation, it seems that start-stop-daemon doesn't
print anything if you pass both the --quite and --exec flags, so this
would be one option.  You could also just redirect the output with
">/dev/null" at the end.

Actually, I found an old version (1.4.0.7) of start-stop-daemon, when
it was written in Perl, and it does have the behaviour you want.
Maybe this is a bug in start-stop-daemon.

"The risk of U.S. national security resting in the hands of adults who play
with children's toys during office hours is left as an exercise to the reader."
                                                       - Bruce Martin in RISKS