RE: Potato X problems

> I had X break on two systems which both are running potato.  The X login
> comes up, allows a login, but the window manager immediately closes and
> throws one back out to the login prompt.
>
> However, I haven't had any problems with slink systems.
>
> My guess is it's something in the new gnome or perhaps the new windowmaker
> (though it does the same with enlightenment).  Before I start ripping things
> apart trying to figure out what's going on, is anyone else having the same
> problems, and if so, have you found a cure?

Let me guess, you're using wdm?  Version 1.0-6?  There's a typo towards the
bottom of /etc/X11/Xsession:

if [ -x $sshagent ]; then
  $realstartup
  kill -TERM $SSH_AGENT_PID
else
  exec $realstarup
        ^^^^^^^^^^ should be realstartup
fi

I reported this to the Debian bug tracking system last week, and apparently
it's being looked at.  It's bug #32529 if you want to follow the "official" fix.

-Jon Burchmore