Re: Can't send mail from my machine:

Hi Matt,

I have gotten rewriting working correctly now, though I don't understand
exactly why what I ended up having to do worked.

My rewrite configuration in /etc/exim.conf looks like this:

#                      REWRITE CONFIGURATION                         #

# There are no rewriting specifications in this default configuration
file.

# This is an example of a useful rewriting rule---it looks up the real
# address of all local users in a file

*@*    ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
                                        {$value}fail} bcfrF

# End of Exim configuration file

Any the file /etc/email-addresses (which I created) looks like this:

gandalf:fsblk@aurora.alaska.edu

where `gandalf' is my username on my home linux box, `fsblk' my username
on my isp, and `aurora.alaska.edu' my isp's host name.  The $1 in the
exim.conf expands to the contents of the first * (username part of addr),
which exim then `lookup's via an `lsearch' in `/etc/email-addresses'.
$value is then set to the second element in the colon-deliminated list in
/etc/email-addresses.  The wierd part is that if I use *@aurora.alaska.edu
in exim.conf, the rewrite doesn't happen, even when I send to
fsblk@aurora.alaska.edu.  Also, I've been told that this *@* rule is
horrible, since it rewrite local mail on my machine with the wrong
address.  I havn't managed to ferret a solution to this out of the docs
though :)

__
GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."

Britton Kerin