Re: Rundown on Netscape .deb packages?

"Craig P. McDaniel" wrote:

> Can someone give a quick rundown on the various Netscape packages out
> there? I think knowing what to download and what is needed will clear up a
> lot of confusion (at least for me :)
>
> Here are some examples from the [frozen] list:
> communicator-base-45 4.5-1 [non-free]
>         Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (base support)
> communicator-dmotif-45 4.5-1 [non-free]
>         Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (full dynamic Motif version)
> communicator-nethelp-45 4.5-1 [non-free]
>         Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (runtime help files)
> communicator-smotif-45 4.5-1 [non-free]
>         Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (full static Motif version)
> communicator-spellchk-45 4.5-1 [non-free]
>         Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (spelling dictionary)
> navigator-base-45 4.5-1 [non-free]
>         Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (base support)
> navigator-dmotif-45 4.5-1 [non-free]
>         Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (full dynamic Motif version)
> navigator-nethelp-45 4.5-1 [non-free]
>         Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (runtime help files)
> navigator-smotif-45 4.5-1 [non-free]
>         Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (full static Motif version)
> netscape-base-45 4.5-1 [non-free]
>         Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (base support)
> netscape-java-45 4.5-1 [non-free]
>         Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (java runtime files)
> netscape4 4.0-15 [contrib]
>         Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (installer)
>
> Hmmm...this may be why so many people have questions about installing
> netscape, it's confusing to begin with. It would be helpful to get
> explainations of what each package actually is. Everything I've found on
> them has been insufficient, except for the dependencies. (I know some of
> the packages are obvious, but I included them for those who would like to
> know).
>
> There ia also a .tar.gz file that has to be downloaded from
> ftp.netscape.com, but there are two versions: libc5(supported) and
> glibc2(unsupported). Which one?

	First, if you are running slink (now frozen), you don't need to get anything from ftp.netscape.com.

	The netscape-xxx are the base files for both communicator and navigator.  The navigator-xxx files are for the stand alone browser.
Communicator is the browser/mail/newsgroup version.  I'm running communicator-4.5, and have the following packages loaded:

	netscape-base-45		necessary
	netscape-java-45		For Java capability (I'd get it)
	communicator-base-45		necessary
	communicator-nethelp-45		help file (optional)
	communicator-spellchk-45	if you want the spelling checker
	communicator-smotif-45		This is the statically linked NS binary

--
Ed C.