Re: dselect+apt -- how to clear cache?

On Thu, Dec 30, 1999 at 01:57:48AM -0500, Arcady Genkin wrote
> I've made some bad move while using dselect one day, and now I have 40
> packages triggered for removal. 8-( Oh horror!
>
> I figure that this is saved in some file, for any time I try to
> install a package with dselect now, it wants to remove the 40 packages
> along with installing the new ones. This happens when I choose
> "install".
>
> ,----[ This is what I see: ]
> | The following packages will be REMOVED:
> |   netscape-base-4 libmd5-perl libcurses-perl debhelper nosql
> |   libcompress-zlib-perl libtime-hires-perl libdelimmatch-perl perl
> |   debmake libhtml-parser-perl sysutils libterm-readkey-perl
> |   procmail-lib dupload navigator-smotif-45 netscape-base-45
> |   perl-5.004-doc xkeycaps dftp cvs-buildpackage perl-suid
> |   libio-stringy-perl devscripts pkg-order signify liblockdev0-perl
> |   dpkg-dev quake2 netscape-java-45 perlmenu navigator-base-45 dpkg-ftp
> |   libnet-perl libmime-base64-perl dpkg-repack xaw-wrappers debsums
> |   alias alien
> | 14 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 40 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> | 1 packages not fully installed or removed.
> | Need to get 4745kB/11.3MB of archives. After unpacking 30.3MB will be freed.
> `----
>
> Is there any way I could tell dselect that thank you, I want my system
> left just the way it is right now. I want to clear that list of
> packages lined up for removal.

See my reply to this list under the subject
> Re: Bad points for debian (was: resetting dpkg)

I provided a perl scrpt that probably does what you want.
Please be careful to get the right message:  I also posted
an awk script that was broken enough that you don't want
to use it.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au