Re: Kernel Upgrade: Slink to Potato

*- On 30 Dec, Patrick Dahiroc wrote about "Kernel Upgrade: Slink to Potato"
> hi
>
> i'm thinking of upgrading to Potato - from what i've read is that Potato is
> pretty safe to use - i realize that i need to upgrade my kernel to do this.

potato should run just fine on a 2.0.x kernel.  I would only do one
upgrad potato/kernel at a time.

> If is give the commands
> 	root> apt-get update
> 	root> apt-get dist-upgrade
> with the sources.list pointing to unstable.  will this automatically get the
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Point it at the release name of potato and not unstable.  When potato
finally goes stable you don't want a suprise the next time you update
apt-get and you have upgraded to the next unstable(woody) release.

> 2.2.? kernel and go through the configuration process.  or do i have to get
> the latest kernel first configure it and then run the apt-get commands.

No, the kernel will not automatically upgrade.  This topic has been
hashed out before on this list, check the archives.  You will need to
grab the kernel source package and build you own kernel.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.