Re: Kernel Upgrade: Slink to Potato

On 30-Dec-1999 Nathan E Norman wrote:

> Alternatively you could install the kernel source and create your own
> package.
>
>   apt-get install kernel-package kernel-source-<version_you_want>
>   cd /usr/src
>   tar xIf kernel-source-<version_you_want>.tar.bz2
>   cd kernel-source-<version_you_want>
>   make config # or make menuconfig or make xconfig
>   make-kpkg clean
>   make-kpkg --revision=`hostname`.<version_you_want>-1

I did this yesterday and I remember when I was new to Debian and I did this, I
soon found my kernel replaced with the default kernel image whenever I
upgraded my system.

Yesterday, I installed a new custom kernel and I know that I can put a hold on
the kernel so it is not unintentionally replaced when I update my system, but
instead I did something like

 make-kpkg --revision=custom.<3:2.2.13.A.0> kernel_image

I suscessfully installed it and the pcmcia stuff but I don't know yet whether
I will lose my custom kernel to the default Debian kernel image on my next
system upgrade.

I will do 'apt-get -d -y upgrade' next time and make sure it does not happen :)

--
Andrew