(fqdn) hostname resolution when using DHCP

I have a linux box running potato (updated as of a couple of hrs ago) +
kernel 2.2.13. The box gets its IP address via a DHCP server. I set the
hostname of this box when I first installed Debian (slink) off of the
CDs without any domain name.

I noticed that from windoze boxes, I can't ping this box if I use the
fqdn hostname. Pinging by IP address works fine. But I want to be able
to ping this box from other linux/windoze boxes by using
hostname.domainname.

How do I do this ? Do I have to setup a DNS server on this box ?

Thanks for any info.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com