Setting up XF86Config

I am not a newbie to computers, but I am to Linux, and so far not so
good.

Hardware:

ASUS SP97-V MB, which has the video built in (SiS 5598 chipset)
Monitor is a Sceptre Dragon Eye D54

Though the accompanying information indicates that XFree86 will handle
the SiS 5598 chipset, for reasons that I do not fathom, it defaults to
a 320X200 screen (first problem), and then bombs because it cannot find
the "fixed" font in /fonts/misc/.

Left to its own devices, XF86Config specifies "Generic VGA" (hence, I
gather, the 320x200 screen size)
It indicates that the SiS chipset is "unknown"

Where am I going wrong?
What other information is needed?

Cam

Cam Ellison, Ph.D., R.Psych.