Re: [RFC] Suggestion for package ordering

>> Is this popularity-contest really necessary.  What
about a script
>> which analyses FTP-servers log-files and counting
how often a package
>> was downloaded?  Running this script on the main
mirrors would make
>> a reasonable statistic.
>I dont think it would. This would only make stats of
>how often packages
>are upgraded. If some package changes 5x more often
>than other it will
>reach much better downloads-count, althru isnt used
>more often

So just divide the number of d/ls by the number of
updates obver that time period.  If it changes 5x more
often, divide the download count by 5.  Presumably a
majority of people who use the package would need to
update each time, especially if other packages depend
on it.

=====
Fish of Borg
Visit me on the web!  http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Frontier/4874/stccg.html
///Archaeologists near mount Sinai have discovered what appears to be a missing page from the Bible.  The page is currently being carbon dated in Bonn.  If genuine it belongs at the beginning of the Bible and is believed to read "To my Darling Candy.  All Characters portrayed within this book are fictitious and any resemblance to persons living or dead is entirely coincidental."///Red Dwarf