Thinkpad 365x

Hi everyone
i'm new to this list and my english is not as good as i would like but i'll try to explain my problem.
 I use debian 2.1 since some time now, and i wanted to use it on a laptop.
I buyed an old Thinkpad 365x (Pentium 100) HD:810Mb IDE and 24Mb of RAM, and tryed to boot with a bootdisk made by rawrite2. I've tryed the normal resc1440, and also the tecra, safe and tecra safe version, and all of these failed. and i also tryed many option of the kernel, as floppy=thinkpad, hd=C,h,s, etc.. but all af these failed and the computer hang directly after reading the kernel from the disk and trying to start it. Then i tryed to use the same rebuilded kernel i use on my computer, this was 2.0.36, so i did copy my vmlinux-2.0.36 as linux on my rescue disk, but i had the same result as before. After all this, debian 2.1 r4 has been out, and i did rebuild the 2.0.38 source, and then after copying it to my boot disk, the laptop booted, that's better than before, but i don't understand why it worked now, since i used the same option in my 2.0.38, is it a bug in the 2.0.36?

So now it boot but i've got another problem, the kernel detect a toshiba ide drive that is of another capacity and if i try to force my chs by using hd=1575,16,63 it still detect the wrong chs and tell me it's a toshiba, not the ibm, what can i do?

Thanks for any help. David Orban