Re: /sbin and /usr/sbin be in a normal user's path ?! What about Sudo ?

On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 11:46:39AM +0800, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
[...]
> ->
>
> e) our recommended solution wold be to install traceroute in bin (i already
> repored that as an error half year ago)
>
> BUT
>
> f) our recommended solution would break scripts which use a hardwired
> /usr/sbin to traceroute
>
> ->
>
> g) our solution to this would be to move traceroute AND leave a symlink from
> the old location pointing to the newe one
>
> I dont see what sudo has to do with that

I sort of do ... when you use sudo, it uses the root command path.
The problem with that is that sudo also gives the user root
privileges, which we may not want by default.

I think that the best solution is a temporary symlink.  Anything that
breaks gets a bug filed against it with a patch and everything.  It
would be easy, even, to write a script that uses zgrep -srl sbin/traceroute
to file a bug against every file on the system (or in an archive) that
has such a reference.  You could probably even submit a patch, since
most such errors will be either bash or perl scripts.  Make the
patched versions depend on the moved traceroute (>= whatever
version).  When all of the bugs are closed, remove the symlink.

Out of curiosity, what don't people like about symlinks?

> (O____O)  When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl!
                            Does this say, then persons will like
anchovies?  That doesn't make much sense at all ...

Rob

--
The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.
		-- Albert Einstein