Re: /sbin and /usr/sbin be in a normal user's path ?! What about Sudo ?

On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 02:52:27AM +0100, Olivier Lemaire wrote:
> I effectively disagree the idea of symlinks. Why don't we make a sudo package
> included in the base install ?
> I mean a "debian-customised" package who should be integrated in the
> base system . Eventually, like shadows passwords are included .

I guess u missed the topic here:

a) traceroute is in /sbin  (traceroute6 is in /usr/bin)
b) normal users can execute /usr/sbin/traceroute (since it IS suid root)
c) normal users need to put /usr/sbin in their path to execute this program
d) FHS recommends to put in sbin only programs a normal (non admin) user
   dont want to use

->

e) our recommended solution wold be to install traceroute in bin (i already
repored that as an error half year ago)

BUT

f) our recommended solution would break scripts which use a hardwired
/usr/sbin to traceroute

->

g) our solution to this would be to move traceroute AND leave a symlink from
the old location pointing to the newe one

I dont see what sudo has to do with that

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --