Re: Upgrade to potato left Perl 5.004 behind??

On 29-Dec-1999 William Burrow wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 09:01:32PM -0500, Brian Servis wrote:
>> Perl 5.005 and Perl 5.004 are significantly different in their
>> compatibility that it was decided to make two independent packages of
>> the two that can coexist on the system.  You can install the perl-5.005
>
> I tried using dpkg to install perl 5.005, but it complained there was a
> conflict with the already installed 5.004 package.  I am attempting to
> set up enough to get dselect to work, maybe it will do something.

See the list of packages on the Debian packages page, searching for perl.
There is a fake package that allows you to upgrade; I believe you will have
upgrade problems if you do not install the fake perl package first.  I believe
it is called "perl-base".

--
Andrew
*who just wrestled with a similar problem*