Upgrade to potato left Perl 5.004 behind??

I upgraded to potato, hoping to get access to all the fine stuff in the
distro, but find I am stuck with Perl 5.004.  Packages I want to install
want 5.005.  I want Perl 5.005.  Why is it that apt left 5.004 behind?
Is the reason logged somewhere?  Is there something I missed that might
do the upgrade?  Do I have to ditch some packages that depend on 5.004?
Why would dist-upgrade miss this?

Thanks for info!

--
William Burrow -- New Brunswick, Canada
Niklaus Wirth has lamented that, whereas Europeans pronounce his name correctly