Re: Installation Script returned error exit status 100

Hagen Finley wrote:

> > The .deb packages are archived in /var/cache/apt/archives
> > which explains the
> > insufficient space message. The packages are installed from there.
> >
> > One possible solution, not really kosher, but you might try editing
> > /etc/apt/sources.list to go through only 'main' complete that
> > much of the
> > upgrade, delete the .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives so
> > you won't run
> > out of free space; then run apt-get to go through only
> > 'contrib', etc. I
> > have NOT tried this, so I don't know whether it will work or
> > whether it will
> > come back to haunt you later, so YAMMV ;-)
>
>         My first question is why this is happening. This is a fresh installation so
> if I have configured the system incorrectly I could easily start over. It
> would strike me as odd to think I need a 500 MB /var directory. I would
> imagine that most all installations would fail if that were the requireme

Hi Hagen,

If I understand correctly, you're downloading the system via a debian site using the
apt option of dselect. If so, your problem is that dselect wants to download all 502
packages before it will configure any of them. Not only that but it will keep the
downloaded files on your computer until they are all installed. Naturally this takes a
great deal of memory - the downloaded debs plus the required install space. So it
looks at your memory and says 'nope not enough room for all that'. It then gives you
an error message and doesn't download anything.

>         Barring some more elegant approach, could I use the [S]elect option and
> install the required pkgs first and then the important ... ?

Oh.. I don't know, I think that's fairly elegant ;-)

You've solved your own problem. By all means use the Select option. Just install the
very minimum the first go-around.  Allow dselect to configure those packages and
delete the downloaded deb files. Then Select some more packages and run Install again.
I'd pick as few as possible, cause it's going to take a while to download.

You could easily start over and only select the basic system, or you could put most of
your selected packages on hold (the '=' option in dselect) and try to install a chunk
at a time from what you have already selected.

Lot's of luck
John