Re: Bad points for debian (was: resetting dpkg)

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 02:11:31PM +0100, Egbert Bouwman wrote:

> You are one of many, myself included, who asked similar questions
> about resetting dselect or dpkg after they created chaos.

Does the revert command 'R' do what you want?

> We only want to start all over again with the selection process.
> I have never read a helpful reply. Does nobody know ?
> Or did we ask the wrong question ?

You could perhaps be a bit clearer about what you want - revert will
undo all the changes you've made on a given screen, but I'm not sure
that that's what you want.  I don't think there's any kind of
progressive undo.

> The debian group tries to remedy this by developing a new package,
> apt etc, which is not yet finished. For years on end we have to work
> now with the old interface. But I have never seen a clear, readable,
> understandable etc story about the use of these packages.

I always found that dselect is pretty well documented by the help screens
within it.  The documentation is certainly terse, but it does seem to be
complete.  Perhaps the terseness can cause problems for some people, I
don't know.  Other than that, a lot of people seem to panic when
confronted with a fairly bare text mode interface.

Even if you made deselect more friendly, you probably wouldn't address
the biggest problem we seem to have at the minute: the number of
packages.  None of the dselect replacements have come up with a good way
of dealing with this (the command line apt tools are probably the best
stab at it).

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/