Bad points for debian (was: resetting dpkg)

On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 10:43:05PM +0100, steve doerr wrote:
> Is there a way to change dpkg package remove tags?  I ran dselect after
> manually dpkg'ing postgresql and jdk and I somehow got almost everything

You are one of many, myself included, who asked similar questions
about resetting dselect or dpkg after they created chaos.
We only want to start all over again with the selection process.
I have never read a helpful reply. Does nobody know ?
Or did we ask the wrong question ?

In the dselect man page (dd 29th november 1995) in slink you can read:
   The dselect package selection interface is confusing or even
   alarming to the new user.
The debian group tries to remedy this by developing a new package,
apt etc, which is not yet finished. For years on end we have to work
now with the old interface. But I have never seen a clear, readable,
understandable etc story about the use of these packages.

Yes, in many texts you see something like: experiment, read the help
pages, use the ... keys (they are your friend).
In the meantime numerous people, often very sophisticated linux users,
have been frustrated by dselect-dpkg. Many turned to another
distibution exactly for this reason.

The sad point is that this program-set seems to be better than
anything else (rpm included), but that debian makes it virtually
impossible for a large number of users to verify this hypothesis.
egbert

--
Egbert Bouwman - Keizersgracht 197 II - 1016 DS  Amsterdam - 020 6257991