RE: cannot open '/dev/lp0' - 'No such device'

> aphro hat gesagt: // aphro wrote:
>
> > netscape uses the command  'lp' to print..which does not appear to work
> at
> > the command line..when i lp a file ..i get ..:
> >
> > [root@aphro ~] lp notes.txt ; lpq
> > request id is 638
> > Printer: lp@aphro  'HP Deskjet 500'
> >  Queue: 1 printable job
> >  Server: pid 30639 active
> >  Unspooler: pid 30641 active
> >  Rank   Owner/ID                   Class Job  Files               Size
> > Time
> > active  root@aphro+638                A  638 notes.txt          1666
> > 17:21:56
> >

> > but nothing ever comes out(the printer doesnt do anything)
>
> Are you sure the command is "lp", not "lpr". lp is the name of the
> printer,
> but the command to print from the command line is "lpr". At least I do not
> have a command named lp:
> $ lp
> bash: lp: command not found

If you installed CUPS you might have the lp command.  You
might also have an lpstat command.  I tried using cups and
found that you have to specify the printer on the command
line. It will not use the default printer correctly.
Try lp -dprintername ...

jim