xfree86 woes. Help please

Helphelp,
I am trying to install 3dfx Xfree86 drivers for my voodoo3 video card. I am
running into a conflict between these drivers and the debian drivers.I am
using Debian that Oreilly and Var are selling. 2.1.? Any ideas how
to get around this. Details are below:
I have successfully downloaded and installed Xfree86 3.3.5 from debian.org.
Also, I have installed the RedHat package manager that works with alien. Now,
I have 5 rpm packages of the 3dfx Xfree86 drivers to install. Soooo:
alien -i Xfree86~1.rpm (to take care of the first package)
  Installation starts but ends with following messages:
  Unpacking xfree86-SVGA (from Xfree86-svga-3.3.35-1.6_i386.deb)
   dpkg: error processing xfree86-svga_3.3.5-1.6.i386.deb (--install):
   trying to overwrite '/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA', which is also in
   package xserver-svga
   dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (broken pipe)
      Errors were encountered whil processing:
   xfree86-svga_3.3.5-1.6_i386.deb
alien: error running: dpkg --no-force-overwrite -i xfree86
(and more stuff, but I got called away and didn't finish writing it all).
   Note: I had two install two Glide packages, also .rpm, that I used
alien -i to install and it all went well and slick.
  Adios, Steve