Re: cannot open '/dev/lp0' - 'No such device'

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Frank Barknecht wrote:

barkne >We will get this fixed, too!

cool :) itd be nice to print from the command line.

barkne >
barkne >But we need some more info:
barkne >What printer do you use?

HP Deskjet 500 (have had it for ~8 years!)

barkne >What's your printing filter setup, do you use
barkne >magicfilter?

yes, magic filter, i spent many many hours trying to get printing working,
i tried magicfilter, CUPS(Common unix printing system) and the other main
filter(i forgot the name)..after many weeks i finally got it working with
magic filter..my setup:

lp|hpdj500|HP Deskjet 500:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpdj500:\
	:sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
	:if=/etc/magicfilter/dj500-filter:\
	:af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

barkne >I had some problems printing text files from the command line
barkne >until I found out, that my printer can only do postscript, not pure text.
barkne >So I had to convert every text file to PS with mpage or enscript. Maybe
barkne >yours can also only do PS.

i believe mine can do normal plain text(is that postscript??)  another odd
thing is i can print fine using the 'enscript' command(from the command
line)

barkne >What happens when you do "cat textfile.txt > /dev/lp0" and

prints a couple lines then stops, and spits out another sheet or 2 of
paper

barkne >"cat postcriptfil.ps > /dev/lp0" ?

same.

netscape uses the command  'lp' to print..which does not appear to work at
the command line..when i lp a file ..i get ..:

[root@aphro ~] lp notes.txt ; lpq
request id is 638
Printer: lp@aphro  'HP Deskjet 500'
 Queue: 1 printable job
 Server: pid 30639 active
 Unspooler: pid 30641 active
 Rank   Owner/ID                   Class Job  Files               Size
Time
active  root@aphro+638                A  638 notes.txt          1666
17:21:56

but nothing ever comes out(the printer doesnt do anything)

any advice would be appreciated..

nate