Re: MTA

*- On 21 Dec, Steve Lamb wrote about "Re: MTA"
> Tuesday, December 21, 1999, 9:14:31 AM, Joe wrote:
>>> I never liked smail or exim, and sendmail seems like overkill for a
>>> small site.
>
>> Count me in as another vote for postfix.  I used to run qmail back when
>> I still ran RedHat, but switched to postfix a few months before I
>> switched to Debian.
>
>> postfix is a lot easier to configure and has the advantage of being
>> designed from the beginning for security.
>
>     Personally I think any MTA is too much of an overkill for off-line
> reading/replying of email.  Personally I think the MUA should have an option
> to defer the mail and then have a command-line option to have it deliver to a
> configured SMTP server, supplied by the ISP, who then performs delivery from
> there.  But, hey, what do I know.

The MUA Tkrat does this.  It is tcl/tk based and does allow you to defer
all messages and then send them out(via a menu selection) whenever you
want to a smtp host.  I personally don't use this feature but it is
there. Version 1.2 is currently packaged for Debian and 2.0 beta5 is
available from http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~maf/ratatosk/.

There are also several MTA's designed for dial-up accounts that don't
have all the advanced features of sendmail, smail, exim, qmail, etc.
Masqmail being one that I am curious about which is packaged for potato.
Haven't tried it as I don't have time to deal with a change in MTA
config right now.  But it does look interesting as it is meant to work
with ppp and the ip-up scripts.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.