Re: Still Can't Print

David Densmore <dden@rollanet.org> wrote :

> I upgraded from kernel 2.0.35 to 2.2.13 and can no longer print.  I

As temporary solution for such situation I have created a simple Bash file with
the call of GhostScript (gs)
with direct output (output file) assigned to the /dev/lp1 .

> changed /dev/lp1 to /dev/lp0 in /etc/printcap but that didn't fix it.

If you just "cat _one-text-file_ > /dev/lp1" you will be sure which one to use.
And you have to check it to be sure about printer still operate.

> The print spooler appears to be starting normally, and everything else
> is set up as it was with the old kernel.
> When I try to print something I get no error messages, nothing.
> Files do appear in the spool directory as before.

Your log of LPD start up should be checked very carefully.
For me it was a security issue when LPD can't start.

Pavel.