Re: Installing Debian-2.1 on a Compaq DeskPro EN Series Workstation

I have a number of Compaq Deskpro EN's and EP's. Everything works fine except
for one major problem: about 1 out of 3 times I boot the keyboard will go completely
dead (you can still logon through the network however).  I'm not the only one who
had this problem, at the time I started working with these Compaqs I posted a few
messages on the web and got replies from other people reporting the same kind
of problems.  We never figured out what was the reason.  This was one of the reasons
why I finaly switched to buying Dell in stead of Compaq.
Anyway, I installed potato on a Deskpro EP 6350 and after some keyboard trouble
during installation it seems to run stable with kernel 2.2.13.  However I'm not sure
whether this is coincidence or whether it realy got fixed.

Personaly I wouldn't go for Compaq.

Nico

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Salman Ahmed wrote:

> Has anyone tried installing Debian-2.1 on a Compaq DeskPro EN Series
> Workstation ? I am trying to get a workstation at the office so that I
> can install Debian on it, and there's an offchance it might be a Compaq
> workstation. This machine might be a PIII 500MHz with an "Intel(R)
> PRO/100+ Management Adapter" ethernet card.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Salman Ahmed
> ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com
>

> --

 "It has been said that there are only two businesses
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SUPC-E/NSSE)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: nico.deranter@sonycom.com