Re: Xterm and function keys

Riku Saikkonen wrote:
> Andy Spiegl <debian-user.Andy@spiegl.de> writes:
> >In an xterm the function keys produce the following:
> > F1 -> ^[OP
> > F2 -> ^[OQ
> > F3 -> ^[OR
> > F4 -> ^[OS
> > F5 -> ^[[15~
> > F6 -> ^[[16~
Oops, that was a type.  Correct is:
> > F6 -> ^[[17~

> But the ^[OP etc. are "normal" for xterms.
Hm, okay I start to understand...

> All of the xterm, xterm-debian and xterm-xfree86 terminal types are
> specified so that F1=^[OP. (You can see this by executing "infocmp
> xterm-debian" and looking for "kf1=\EOP" in the output (^[ = \E = the
> ESC character).
Interesting!

> So, basically, please don't care about it. :)
I really would like to, but I can't.  Besides the fact that my coworkers
who are running SuSE-Linux are always trying to find weaknesses of Debian
(and vice versa :-), I am running into problems when remote administring
non-Debian machines:  I have to set the TERM-type to from xterm-debian to
xterm, but then curses based tools (like SuSE's YaST for example) don't
recognize the function keys.

> please look at /usr/doc/xterm/README.Debian first, though the problems
> it talks about concern mostly the Backspace and Delete keys).
I know the this README, but as you say, it only talks about Backspace and
Delete.

I just tried the terminfo approach and that seems to work!  So I guess I
solved my problem, but I still don't really like it.  However I now
understand that it's not a Debian problem, but a general X problem.  Things
should be standardized better. :-(

Thanks for your help,
 Andy.

--