Re: Can one keep networks apart on a machine?

kaynjay@igalaxy.net said:
> I have a dilemma at work.  They use Windoze (NT at the moment) and will not
> allow me to use Linux instead.  Yet Linux is my choice both personally and
> professionally (given the tools my discipline has which run under the two
> environments, Linux is a born winner).  I Am allowed to use it as long as it
> _cannot_access_ the LAN.  So I wondered... Is it possible to network it to my
> office NT box without there being any crossover to the outside LAN?  Perhaps
> this sounds silly, but rebooting is a Bear between systems (I have both on
> the one machine at this time).

Would it be acceptable to just set up the Linux box with a static route
pointing at your NT box and no default route?  This would prevent it from
talking to any other machines even if it's physically using the same wire.
If it's on a different NIC, you should have full isolation.  (Just so long as
nobody tells the Linux box to use the NT box as a gateway and tells the NT
box to route packets...)

> (Linux is considered a Maverick system by our newly hired administrator.)

Well, yeah...  How could a johnny-come-lately OS family like *nix possibly be
as mature or robust as the long-established Windows family?

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+