In search of the perfect font

Hi folks,

Although I love by debian system, I must face the reality that X is
designed for and by people with big, expensive, ultra-high resolution
monitors. While environments like GNOME and WindowMaker leave MS Windoze
for dead, functionality and looks wise, if you run them at anything less
than 1024x768 you loose most of your screen real estate to wharfs and
docs and panels and such-like. Unfortunately, when you are a poor
student, such as myself (and presumably many of us here), with a crappy
little 15" monitor, some of the fonts can end up being just a bit too
small.

What I am seeking is a fixed-width font that is nice and viewable
(without having to bold) on a 15" monitor at 1024x768. Part of the
problem is that, because style should win over substance every time,
many of the fonts (such as misc/fixed) get lost when viewed in a
transparent term over a background picture. This is mainly for use
reading mail in mutt in a transparent (tinted) Eterm (I'm sure I'm not
the only one on the list who spends a large percentage of their time in
front of a computer merely reading and writing email).

I have found one font that I like which works quite well for my needs,
except that it is in the VGA (what I would have called ANSI back in my
BBSing days) character set. While this is fine for most purposes, it
mangles quite a few different foreign characters, and leaves me not able
to use the graphical thread characters in mutt.

I realise it's my own stupid fault for trying to have a cool looking
desktop without a 21" monitor (I have 17" at work and have no such font
problems there), but I was hoping someone out there in debian land might
have encountered a similar problem and found a solutions.

Cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller (dm-sig6@empire.net.au) /  It's not a sense of humor.
* Criminologist                     /  It's a sense of irony