dpkg update of ALSA and ESound and GNOME

I've mostly updated a slink installation on a Dell Latitude CPi D300XT
to potato.

In an attempt to get sound working I've compiled ALSA (alsa-source)
using make-kpkg (kernel-package) together with kernel-source-2.2.13
and pcmcia-source.

I want to remove libesd0 and replace it with libesd-alsa0 which
provides libesd0 (but also "Conflicts:" with libesd0?). I want to do
this to get sound working again within GOME/Enlightenment. (I have
other problems with ALSA at present, with no CD sound and can't play
sound files, but that's another story for now).

But
    dpkg --remove libesd0
wants to remove all of the installed gnome et al. packages.  So
    dpkg --ignore dependency libesd0 --remove libesd0
works, then
    dpkg --install libesd-alsa0_0.2.15-12.deb
works, but the dependencies seem to want libesd0 installed again:
    apt-get -f install
installs libesd0 0.2.15-12 and removes libesd-alsa0.

Have I misunderstood dpkg/apt-get or is there something wrong here?
How do I replace a library like this in-place?

Cheers,
Graham