how do i know if it's a winmodem?

ok newbie question
i got slink working on my computer but i can't get on the net.
this is because my computer came with a winmodem, so im looking
to get a nice cheap 56k modem that can work on linux.
the problem is every modem i look at seems to be a winmodem
they all that a title like "56k winmodem" or "v90 for windows"
or in the system requirements "requires windows 9x"

so anyway, i was wondering if anyone can suggest a few good internal v90
modems that i can buy or teach me how to determine if a modem is
a winmodem.