Re: debian-user-digest Digest V99 #2182

Hi,

>I'm beginning to grow an idea, assuming that enough of us who have
>actually considered or use a 3com/USR product write a letter to the
>company asking for support and explaining why they would lose our business
>if they don't provide the support. If we want to do so, probably we should
>develop a boilerplate letter to use that would be politely and firmly
>worded. I also suggest if we're going to do something like this we should
>take it off the list, maybe set up a temporary list for the traffic or
>something.

I agree at 100% here.

>Perhaps then they'll listen.

There's a difference between 'hear' and 'listen'. I think they actually do
neitheir.

>PS:
>I used to reccomend USR to everyone who asked me. AFAICT they went
>downhill only after their acquisition by 3com.

Unfortunately I was the guy who recommended USRobotics Sportster Message Plus
and we (my brother and me) bought two modems the same day at the same shop at
the same time. I feel guilty about modem since then. Did I told you that we were
in trouble and had to buy a supplement accessory box (>300 Francs, > $50) in
order to use it on our non WinTel machine - Macintosh computers - ... ?

Have I told you lately (no that sentence do not come from a Ray Charles song)
that a nice WinTel guy (in a WinTel shop) upgrade the firmware of both modems
free of charge (and with smile as my brother told me) ? (just because as a
previous one write in this list, the upgrade software is not available for 'any'
other platform).