Re: XFree86 3.3.5 and slink

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Ethan Benson wrote:
> not really a answer to your overall problem but i would suggest
> making your .xsession conditional based on which machine you are
> logged into, this can be done various ways either by checking
> hostnames or the machine type in the variable MACHTYPE.

I thought of that, but it requires customizing .xsession for all the
users, which I'd like to avoid; besides, the mere presence of an
.xsession file changes how X11 starts up.  This isn't just for myself,
I'm trying to establish basic site policy, so that users don't need to
do a lot of customization; I want all Linux boxes to start the same
window manager by default, and it isn't twm.

> >Has anyone else ecnountered this problem?
>
> no

Based on continuing research on my part, I'd say that means you haven't
actually upgraded the slink X11 to XFree86 3.3.5.  It appears that this
breaks the Debian X11 customization rather badly, and at a minimum the X
server boots with some other Xsession file than the one in /etc/X11.

Can anyone provide precise details on how the XFree86 distros are
customized for Debian?  It would be very helpful to me right now...

--
Rick Venable                  =====\     |=|    "Eschew Obfuscation"
FDA/CBER Biophysics Lab       |____/     |=|