Can't Print

I'm running Slink and wanted to run kernel 2.2.13 so I upgraded all
of the stuff listed in

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/running-kernel-2.2

to the Potato versions as recommended.  After doing that and re-
compiling ther kernel I can't start the print spooler.  When I try
to print something I get the "jobs queued, but cannot start daemon"
message.  When I try /etc/init.d/lpd start I see:

Starting printer spooler: lpd.

but nothing happens.  When I try /etc/init.d/lpd stop I see:

Stopping printer spooler: lpd not running.

So I think it is not starting.  Does anyone know how I should go
about fixing this?

Thanks,
David Densmore <dden@rollanet.org>