Re: ping broken

On 16/12/99 George Bonser wrote:

Which kernel version are you using. I think 2.0 would not masquerade ICMP.
With 2.2 you have to have ICMP masquerading enabled in the kernel config.
A clue is to look in your linux source tree if you built your own kernel
and check in .config for the value of:

CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_ICMP

and make sure it is set to y or m

If it is set to m, there should be a module in:

/lib/modules/`uname -r`/ipv4 something along the lines of ip_masq_icmp.o

If it is there try loading it with

insmod ip_masq_icmp

then see if ping works from your private net to the internet.

I am using kernel 2.2.13, but linux is not doing the IP masquerading so is the option relevant in this case?

--
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/