Backup/Restore strategies on Debian

Hello.

Lately I have been thinking alot about backups on Unix-systems.
I don't have any mission-critical data or system, so "tar" and "gzip"
are enough for me.

But I was thinking, what is a good backup-strategy when I run Debian?

I find it useless to "tar ... gzip" whole "/" and it's subdirectories,
since everything in "/usr/*" does exist on the debian system and can be
easily downloaded again.
What I can see as important is the "/etc"- and "/home"-directories which
should be stored.

Everything else can be restored easily if I got the Debian CD's or a
LAN-connection.

Or am I wrong?

./Andreas