Re: X Server won start

Hi Rick,

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 01:15:23PM -0800, Rick Dunnivan wrote:
<snip>
> screenmodes, from 800x640 - 1600-1200.  When I do
> startx, I get the following...
>
> _XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener:
> ....SocketCreateListener() failed
> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already
> running
>
> Fatal server error:
> Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an
> X server isn't already running

It seems that your system already has an X server running so it cannot start a new one that terminal(not sure the correct words for this).  You can check if an X server is running by switching to the other terminals with CTRL-<function key> X normally starts on F8.  You can start more than one X server at a time by using startx -- :<number> where the number is for the terminal to connect on starting at 0, so for you if one server is running it would be startx -- :1

Hope this helps,

Steve